Thursday, July 9, 2009

On a steel horse I ride


Eat my dust, suckers! That's right. I have wheels. Three to be exact. Note the slick colors of my ride and the tassels on the handlebars. This baby was built for speed. My only regret right now is that my legs aren't long enough to reach the pedals. Until then, however, I'm thoroughly enjoying sitting on my tricycle at every opportunity I have. It gives me such a sense of power! Now I know how God must feel when He sits on His tricycle!

I can picture myself now cruising along Route 66, smiling like a goat in a briarpatch. The sun would be shining and the wind would be blowing. I'd have nothing but sunglasses, a canteen full of apple juice, a baggy full of Cheerios, and a dusty copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance in my knapsack.

Of course, I'd probably run into trouble with Johnny Law at some point. Bikes like mine tend to attract heat. As you well know, I've got about as much use for highway patrolmen as I do for a trapdoor in my canoe! The minute those blue and red lights start flashing, I'll kick it into overdrive and leave Arresty McDonuts in a cloud of gravel and dust.

But a life on the road really is no life at all. I'd miss Bailey. I'd miss my regular feedings. I'd miss my toys. So I'd eventually make my way back home. I'd park my tricycle in the garage and throw an old tarp over it. But once in a while, on cold nights when I'm feeling pensive and longing for the road, I'll go out there, pull back that tarp by the light of the moon, and wax my tricycle's frame and oil the wheels and straighten the tassels.


1 comment:

Jon Bain said...

HAHAH Did lucy watch harley davidson and marlboro man a few to many times. I mean i understand where she is coming from. This is mickey rourke and don johnsons finest cinematic appearances of all time!!!! Keep the amazing blogs coming