Saturday, August 29, 2009

Countdown to Kickoff: 7 Days


I was at the apple orchard today with my mommy and daddy (see the humiliating picture above), and I realized something: picking apples is a lot like catching a football. It takes lots of concentration and a tremendous amount of hand/eye coordination. My first few tries didn't go so well. I didn't keep my eye on the apple and I missed entirely. On my next few tries, I kept my eyes on the apple, but I got so excited that I twisted my body and my daddy almost dropped me. And guess what? No apple.

I was getting frustrated because I really, really, really wanted to get one of these buggers on my own and it just wasn't happening. But then I had an idea!


Because Notre Dame football has been on my mind lately, I said to myself "What would Golden Tate do in this situation?" He sure wouldn't let himself get distracted by shiny things or the sound of his own babbling. No, he would just reach up and grab the stinking apple is what he would do! The below video immediately came to mind:



And guess what? On my very next try, I grabbed that apple! By the end of the day, I was a pro at apple-picking. I could to the one-handed apple pick, the behind the back apple pick, and even the no-look apple pick (see below).


So thank you, Golden Tate. If not for you, there would be no apple pie, no apple butter, no dried apple chips, no apple soup, no apple sandwiches, no apple juice, no apple sauce, and no apple sticks at the Perry household this week.

No comments: