Friday, March 20, 2009

Post-St. Patrick's Day Mailbag






Lucy, are you aware that the title of your blog is a rip-off of a 40 minute short musical called Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog? And I'm pretty sure that it also rips off an old Tom Wolfe book. What do you have to say for yourself? Giancarlo T., Clearwater, Florida.

Giancarlo, I'm glad you brought this up. I became aware of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog in early January, and I've been struggling with what to do. On the one hand, Joss Whedon hardly owns the words "Sing-Along Blog" (and I challenge his army of lawyers to prove me wrong). On the other hand, I really don't want people to think that I'm ripping off a second-rate talent like Whedon. So I briefly toyed with the idea of renaming the blog. But, after a little further investigation, I realized that Whedon himself was ripping off the Austin Grossman novel Soon I Will Be Invincible. All he did was add the musical element. So my blog's name will remain unchanged. If you think I ripped off Joss Whedon, so be it. Oh, and is Tom Wolfe that loser who always wears white suits?

Lucy, what did you give up for Lent and why? Joseph R., Vatican City

Well, Joseph, I don't believe I've given up anything. Do you know why? BECAUSE I AM NOT ALLOWED TO DO ANYTHING FUN IN THE FIRST PLACE. I can't eat meat. I can't ride a motorcycle. I can't drink coffee. I can't have candy. I can't bully anybody. I can't lie. I can't steal. What would you have me give up? Breathing? Eating? You have some nerve emailing me a question like that when it is abundantly clear that the only things I can give up are those necessary to my existence.

Lucy, are you excited about the EASTER BUNNY? Have your parents told you about him? He is a giant bunny that will come to your house on Easter morning while you're still sleeping and hide eggs everywhere. I bet you can't wait! Eleanor D., Stamford, CT.

Eleanor, are you kidding me? Of course I'm excited! I already have everything worked out. First, I'm going to lay out some carrots in our living room!

Once the Easter Bunny has broken into our home, I'm sure it'll make a mad dash for the carrots before he starts vandalizing the place. It probably won't even notice the giant cage I've rigged up directly above it.



I'll pull the cord and BAM! I've caught myself an Easter Bunny. I don't want to get into any more specifics of my plan, but I will say that it involves the following:






No comments: