Monday, March 23, 2009

This is preposterous!

Remember back in January when I told you that you needed to see the Swedish movie Let the Right One In? Just to refresh your memory, it is the story of a young boy named Oskar who befriends a girl named Eli. She just happens to be a vampire. What else can I say about this movie? It is brilliant. And I don't toss that word around as if it were a sack of potatoes. In fact, I can count the number of brilliant things/people I've encountered on one hand:
  1. Let The Right One In
  2. Raj, my stuffed monkey
  3. Troy Polamalu
  4. Peek-A-Boo (it just never gets old!)
Anyway, the point of this post is to tell you NOT to rent the DVD version of Let the Right One In. Why? Well, let's just say that the subtitles in the DVD release are dramatically different than those in the theater version. By way of illustration, below is an early scene from the theater release in which Oskar meets Eli.


Now, for the DVD version:

Do you notice a difference? The language used in the DVD release version is way off--it's as if it was dumbed down. Here's another example, from that same scene



Now, for the DVD version:



There are more examples that I won't get into here, but rest assured that the whole DVD release is like this. What a bunch of crap! Does the studio think I am a moron? Is that why they're dumbing it down? Why else would they change the subtitles? And why would ANYONE think that the new subtitles are in any way an improvement over the old ones? It makes absolutely no sense to me. Someone really messed up on this one, and I expect heads to roll!

I called the studio to complain, but I was so angry that all I managed to do was slobber on the phone and roll over (I've been doing that a lot lately).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are too cute in your new pic for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition or was it for Hugh ?