Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Today was a big day


I am 1/2 year old today. I've been around 180 days (or thereabouts). Six months. The Big Point-Five. I've gotta tell you, my age is really hitting me -- how did I let time go by so fast? Is this what a mid-life crisis feels like? Still, I can't help but look back and be pretty pleased with everything I've learned. In my six months here, I've learned to yell. I've learned to crawl. I've learned to eat solid food (see below).

I've learned to hold grudges. I've learned to sit up (sort of). I've learned to laugh. I've learned to hold things. I've learned that I want an iPhone. I've learned that rolling over is fun. I've learned about depth perception. I've learned to sleep through the night. I've learned to insult others. I've learned that I like duckies (see below).


I've learned that I like to take baths. I've learned that the Notre Dame football team's success hinges not on Jimmy Clausen, but on the development of a sound run game and a stout defensive line. I've learned that bookies only respond to violence. I've learned that I don't particularly like hippies. I've learned that reading is fun. I've learned that my dad is funny. I've learned that my mom enjoys cleaning up after me. I've learned that I sort of like Baby Einstein. I've learned that the most interesting toy around is always the one that (i) I'm not supposed to have and (ii) isn't a toy. I've learned that man is truly the most dangerous game. I've learned that stuffed animals are good to hang out with occasionally, but they are not to be trusted. I've learned that sneezes are funny. I've learned that my doggy is funny (see below).
I've learned that pajamas mean it's time to sleep. I've learned that bibs mean it's time to eat. I've learned that sitting in my jumperoo means it's time to have fun. I've learned that when dad puts on a tie, it's time for him to leave. I've learned that when mommy drinks, it's because of me. I've learned that it isn't good to roll off the bed. I've learned that I like papaya. I've learned that I like squash. I've learned that peas are only OK. I've learned to hold my own bottle. I've learned that Cormac McCarthy is a really, really good writer. I've learned that John Grisham is not. I've learned that lunging forward is a viable form of human locomotion. I've learned that splashing is a pretty good time. I've learned that shots are not. I've learned that grass is pretty fun to crawl on. I've learned that tile is too. I've learned to drink water. I've learned that I can puke and someone will clean it up for me. I've learned that it's fun to pull mommy's hair. I've learned that it's fun to bite daddy when he's not paying attention. I've learned that the more expensive something is, the more I want to eat it. I've learned that adults will willingly trade in their dignity just to see me smile. I've learned that decorating cookies is a great way to pass an afternoon (see below).
I've learned that I can hit my head off of stuff and not cry. I've learned that balance and gravity are enemies waging some sort of horrible war inside of me, but that balance has been been winning more often than not in the last few weeks. I've learned that I can make sounds other than screaming. I've learned that the best band in America is the Drive-By Truckers. I've learned that it is perfectly OK to enjoy schadenfreude. I've learned that I started off really small (see below), but I have grown exponentially more powerful since.

3 comments:

Sarah Bailey said...

Lucy- Congratulations on turning six months old! What did your parents get you? You know you ARE supposed to receive gifts for all birthdays~ that includes six month old birthdays. Hopefully they bought you an IPhone, new laptop, or a porsche. Let me know. I will make sure they comply with any present you want.

tall one said...

i've learned you only puke when I'm wearing North Face clothing

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the new layout and color scheme, Lucy!