Monday, December 22, 2008

T minus 3 days and counting ...

What can I say about today's Christmas topic that others haven't already said?  I know that Christmas is about celebrating Jesus' birth, but no right-minded person could say that God didn't also intend for us to gorge ourselves on college football during this most holy of times.  Bowl season is truly a glorious event that has become synonymous with the holidays.  For me, nothing beats kicking back and watching all the great match-ups on my sickeningly large flatscreen.  This year, I'm particularly excited about ND-Hawaii, PSU-USC, and Oklahoma-Florida.  But the crown jewel of this bowl season is no doubt the fact that Michigan was ineligible to play in any of these games.  Not even the Humanitarian Bowl!  There is a word for the joy I experience as I watch the Michigan program crumble and its fanbase revolt.  That word is schadenfreude.  As you are aware (or as you would be aware if you frequented certain ND-related message boards), the word derives from the German Schaden (meaning damage or harm) and Freude (meaning joy).  And it is a sweet, sweet feeling.  I really recommend you try it.

So when your family tries to sucker you into doing things together like visiting Aunt Mabel or Uncle Roy over the next few weeks, make sure you remind them what the Christmas season is truly about--watching football.  And if that means you have to go down into the basement to sit on a plastic lawn chair and watch the games by yourself on a 13 inch black and white tv as you consume bag after bag of off-brand potato chips and Faygo, so be it. Your family can wait.  Bowl season is worth it, trust me.  

I leave you with two images that will get any red-blooded American fired up for this bowl season. 


No comments: