Wednesday, November 12, 2008

On Cormac McCarthy


Occasionally, I'll use this blog to trumpet stuff I like. I may review my favorite bottle or my favorite stuffed animal or books or I may even review my parents' performance thus far (right now, they're earning a solid B+). So my first topic of discussion is my favorite writer -- Cormac McCarthy. Long before that sow Oprah Winfrey (above) made him a household name, I was telling everyone I knew that they needed to read a book, any book, by Cormac McCarthy. Why, you might ask, would a baby enjoy Cormac McCarthy? After all, there are no pictures, no pop-ups, and it seems that McCarthy doesn't particularly care for babies (see Blood Meridian and The Road). You'd be correct to point all of these things out. But since I'm not really allowed to watch TV (except for football), I have to find my entertainment elsewhere. I'll be the first to admit he's difficult. It took me three tries before I could finish Blood Meridian, but the effort was worth it. Right now, I'm just finishing up Cities of the Plain, the last book in the Border Trilogy. After that, I may take a little break from his novels and maybe check out some of the new stuff people bought me when I was born. First up is Quiet Loud by Leslie Patricelli. I don't know much about this book, but the title is definitely intriguing. Don't bother searching the New York Times archives -- it doesn't look like Michiko Kakutani has reviewed it yet. I'll be sure to post my own review once I finish it.

In other news, my parents dressed me like this yesterday:

Although it was pretty comfortable and I fell asleep almost immediately, I'm not going to forget how ridiculous I looked. If they keep pulling these kinds of stunts, I just might end up sticking them in one of those crooked nursing homes when the time is right. You know, the ones where the orderlies steal your stuff.

No comments: